PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2021, 08:03
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,586 Likes on 723 Posts
Easy_Street,

I have indeed read it. I note the very first section states that a comprehensive peace agreement is made of four parts which are interrelated.
​​​​​​​
The agreement covered the first two parts only. I can find no pronouncements that the Taliban adhered to or implemented any of their obligations under the second of the two parts covered by the initial agreement. Regarding the third and fourth interrelated parts, the fourth part required a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire which never occurred. The agreement as a whole is therefore null and void.

I would agree that facts on the ground, and politics at home, precluded the USA maintaining a permanent presence of troops in the ground. However what we are discussing is the plan for withdrawal, it’s steps and it’s timetable. A sensible plan would have had the firsts steps being the evacuation of US citizens and Afghan staff who wished to depart, a draw down of military to defensible airheads in secure areas where a final departure could have been made after handing over to the Afghan forces - such as Bagram.

It should be noted, therefore, that the promises made by the US government to ensure all sanctions against the Taliban and rewards against such individuals are also null and void - and indeed the current administration has stated that an6 such actions will depend upon the future actions of the Taliban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/21/b...n-economy.html