PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 25th Aug 2021, 19:55
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
While rotorcraft are hardly rare down here in Frome I had not seen an Osprey doing a low level transit earlier this evening, are they all USMC birds? .

. I had seen them transitioning before going into RMA Sandhurst when i lived over the road in Camberley and they were the noisiest 'prop' aircraft I had seen since the Fairey Rotadyne 60 odd years before. In the cruise they are marginally quieter and less harsh sounding but they cant be very stealthy if employed on special ops and I though that was one of their roles in life. This one was a good mile away and intially not visible behind some trees but it sounded like someone had suddenly started a giant diesel farm tractor right behind me instantly drawing attention.

i f feathered Ospreys had lawyers since they are both beautiful and largely silent , they would sue for defamation - the Mil Ospreys are more akin to a very fat heavy wood pigeon which also generates an enormous amount of noise in all aspects of flight
All that said I do admire the technology on an mil Osprey , just the tiniest imbalance must shake the thing to pieces.