PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obituary: Sir Peter Harding
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2021, 13:12
langleybaston

Received 665 Likes on 238 Posts
Fair enough! As I said, the 2 hours notice was scorned by the customers and the forecasters ........ whatever else were we there for but to provide forecasts? I only ever worked with one work-to-rule man, and he did not thrive, no S Met O wanted him around.

The background to the Sunshine episode [I know, never complain, never explain .....] was simply this. Every night we prepared a "Standard Area Forecast" for transmission by BFBS at [I think] 0600. It was for the many 1BR Corps choppers and light aircraft scattered all over N Germany on little pads and strips, and often in a field with just a box-body, a tent and a bowser. This forecast was a top priority, and it took a fair amount of time to prepare, and a fair time to read by BFBS.
The only higher priority [apart from warnings] was the NW Europe Sig Weather forecast which was, essentially, the Group guidance for the forecasters in the Clutch, at Gutersloh and Detmold, and also looked Eastwards for Armageddon.

Both the above were prepared AS LATE AS POSSIBLE to take advantage of the latest data and the phone-ins from troops in the field. Thus the Sunshine episode

Regards

​​​​​​​Sunshine.