PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2021, 11:19
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
The Australian Constitution is largely silent on the matter of restrictions of movement, save for s 92.
Though it does protect you from being penalised based solely on the state in which you live, which would be applicable if it were demonstrable that there is no health basis to the blanket decision. Ie someone in Broken Hill who could fly to Perth via Adelaide is no risk to WA compared to someone at Bondi who has to travel through Sydney. Granted, they now have cases out there, but for argument's sake, if there is no demonstrable risk, then you should not be penalised for it - and that's where WA needs to be careful, I think, as you cannot keep locking out everyone in a state for a handful of cases...

Originally Posted by dr dre
“I’m just keen to have minimal or no COVID”
Okay, we'll us your words if it'll make you happy...But, do tell the rest of us, just how McGowan plans on actually getting "minimal or no" Covid in WA?

Isn't "No Covid" (Your words...) the same as "Zero Covid"?
Originally Posted by The West
Mark McGowan says his “preferred position is that we don’t have COVID” He said the lockdown of NSW showed it’s “better not to have COVID” and he would only abandon borders and lockdowns as virus suppression weapons when Australia reaches the last phase of National Cabinet’s four-step plan out of the pandemic.
"Obviously, if we get cases in here certainly we will have to deal with it but we're doing everything we can to keep it out."

(Zero COVID) is now the accepted position,. People will criticise, I just want to say, ‘Look at our life, look at all this’. People out having lunch, having fun, people at work, the office blocks have got the highest staffing levels back of anywhere in Australia, our schools are operating, our economy is going the strongest in Australia of anywhere in the world — isn’t a good thing?Source
Originally Posted by WingNut60
I am amazed that, while NSW festers, so many people are desperate to point out failings that they think they can see in WA and McGowan.
Maybe because Australian's don't like being taken advantage of by smug pricks who won't pull their own weight? It's all fine and dandy for McGowan to have a crack at Gladys and say "You should've locked down earlier!", but perhaps McGowan should've been pulling his weight with incoming passengers and particularly airfreight per capita? Same for Dan, when they screwed the pooch last year, they cancelled all incoming arrivals through Melbourne. Last I looked, Sydney is still taking the vast majority of incoming passengers, with the risk that entails...

He conveniently forgets to mention that NSW handles the majority of both, yet seems content for everyone to reap the benefits of it...