PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2021, 07:08
Parkbremse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning,

resurrecting this old thread to get some advice on an issue that I just found out that might have an impact on me (and probably others as well) due to Brexit and new UK CAA licenses.

I´m a deutanomalous pilot who got his initial medical 20 years ago after a passing Holmes-Wright lantern examination at the UK CAA in LGW. Fast forward till today after flying 10000h on Boeings and whatnot I still find myself out of a job thanks to COVID but might have an opportunity again in the UK where I worked the last 5 years. Problem is due to brexit I will need to validate my EASA license in the UK with a defined process that requires me to apply for an inital Class I medical in the UK. Looking up the requirements for CVD pilots its made very clear that lantern tests are not accepted and the means of secondary testing are anomaloscope and CAD test.

However, the regulations say the following on the transition:

Non-EU licence holders and EU licence holders who have never held a UK-issued licence
Applicants must apply for an initial medical certificate of the appropriate class at an AeMC for Classes 1&3 or an AME for Class 2 and LAPL. (Please note revalidation standards of the applicable class may apply to applicants who already hold the applicable licence (e.g. Class 1 for CPL/ATPL)).
So apparently revalidation standards may apply for license holders, which would not require me to take color vision testing as it is according to regulation "on clinical indication". This would be crucial to me as I know that I will not pass the CAD and probably not the anomaloscope.

Now, how best to spin this? Does anybody here have any experience already with this process? Would be happy to get some advice or pointers who I should maybe talk to before starting the process and scheduling a booking for the Class I.

Thanks already everyone.