PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'The U.S.A has your back'...what does that mean?
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 22:37
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldeep Inminj
What do members think will be the view of both the USA's allies and 'enemies' in light of their decision to cut-'n-run from Afghanistan.
At least in Germany the critical view goes more towards the own politicians. In the end it was clear that there would be a date when the US would pull out its troops. There would have been plenty of time to get local support forces and employees out of the country in time. But following the 2015 refugee desaster and in light of the upcoming elections no politician dared to ask start flying Afghans in numbers to Germany without an immediate Threat. Sadly this suddenly developed much quicker than German politics (and I assume secret service) expected. There is some irritation about the US not properly informing about the detailed withdrawal plans but not terribly much more in a direct sense. I would say there is rather more worry about the Chaos of the US withdrawal itself. Moving troops out first, then sending them back in a hurry to save and pull out the civillians and probably still leaving thousands behind instead of ana well orchestrated move simply doesn't look super professional for such a profound Military Power.

The world is watching, and what is the world going to take away from this? What does a US 'guarantee' now mean - will anyone believe them - is it worth the paper it is written on?
We'll see. Might make it somewhat more difficult in certain cases to motivate Countries to act in the US' favor. But I don't think it will totally change the game.