PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'The U.S.A has your back'...what does that mean?
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 13:44
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
'The U.S.A has your back'...what does that mean?

Like so many on this forum, I am watching the events unfolding in Afghanistan with incredulity, frustration and anger. However, rather than go over the causes for and consequences of the hasty withdrawal of Coalition forces, I wanted to get your view on a slightly different question.

What do members think will be the view of both the USA's allies and 'enemies' in light of their decision to cut-'n-run from Afghanistan. They US governement are now openly refusing entry to the airport of those who aided their forces (confirmed by multiple news outlets), despite promising them they would be kept safe. The world is watching, and what is the world going to take away from this? What does a US 'guarantee' now mean - will anyone believe them - is it worth the paper it is written on?

For example, the US repeatedly says it will defent Taiwan militarily if China decides to invade. Has the import of that statement just changed? Will China be emboldened, and will Taiwan now be nervous? Or, will the removal of forces from the 'stan now allow Biden to pivot to Asia and will China now be worried?

The UK integrated review looked at the shape of our defence moving forwards, and was done in the light of the world's most powerful military being behind us at all times. Can we still count on the US as an unwavering partner? Recent events would clearly seem to indicate that we cannot. Is the review now fit for purpose?

I would love to hear your views.