PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferrying from China - Language barriers?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 11:17
JohnHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyd
2-3hr legs? I believe the shortest crossing is approximately 500-550 nm.

No O2? Maybe take a minute to look at some of the elevations going over Greenland unless you are planning on following the coast.

VFR? Flying in winter over or around Greenland? The worst place in the world for whiteout conditions.

Assuming zero winds that far north?

I am not sure you’ll be allowed into Canada with COVID restrictions.

Have you considered what flying in survival gear is going to be like? That might not be an issue because to be blunt you will kill yourselves before you leave Canada.

Either way it’s getting boxed and shipped, it’s up to you wether you want to be in that box or not.
No, according to our planning we are looking at legs approx. 300nm the whole way. We've got 6.5 hours endurance, so we will be able to meet pretty bad headwind, but of course it's never fun to cross a point of no return unless you have to.

We're fully vaccinated with a European COVID passport so should get into Canada easy enough if we have negative PCR tests as well.

The survival suit I use is a danish Viking Gore tex suit with PLB. Really comfy, I use it all year here in Norway on exposed trips.

Regarding the O2 we agree and think we'll need to buy bottles and masks if we cross Greenland over the middle, chopper can do 19000' , we can't..

But turns out we are getting a ferry pilot for the Atlantic crossing, but not for the direct reasons you mentioned. Insurance requires PIC with 5 documented crossings