PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TKS Deicing STC for Kingair 350
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2021, 14:44
formulaben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salto
... and sufficient enough. If you know how to use it.
And that's the rub, it shouldn't require a lot of skill or experience to use it. It's not de-ice, it's anti-ice, and as you note you absolutely must be proactive to use it properly. Unlike a real jet, you can't just flip the switch and smugly watch ice disappear in seconds. Sure, it works, but it's hardly the ideal system that I'd want on a high performance aircraft, and especially a jet given the silly speed limitations inherent to the system...if you do recall that?

Having said that, I loved flying the Hawker. It's a great machine given its age and its handling characteristics are quite impressive, especially when you consider the lack of any added hydraulics or electrics to the primary flight controls (rudder bias excepted, of course.) The aerodynamically boosted controls are very well balanced; a wonder given their size, weight, and lack of complexity. Its ability to decelerate after landing without touching the brakes is something to behold; I wish every airplane behaved that way. It is easily the best hand flying airframe in its class, but the TKS system is undoubtedly one of the most hated systems from the many Hawker pilots I've spoken with over the years (especially if you routinely flew in areas of moderate icing, which we did.) The baggage size/placement is a close second.