PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creamies ?
Thread: Creamies ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:02
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A few thoughts, if I may, relating to instructing and 'Q' annotations, and please note that these are personal opinions and not stating in any formal document of which I am aware.

There are two aspects to instructing, how to teach and what to teach. I think that CFS and other military instructional training courses (eg QWI) are very good at the 'how to teach' aspects. With respect to 'what to teach', the scope is large and no course can cover everything and no individual can really cover all aspects well, in detail and also improve by gaining experience. I believe that this is why there are separate QFI and QWI qualifications. Some aspects of 'what to teach' that are taught on these courses can be picked up through experience and exposure but that takes far longer and hence the advantages of running the courses. The QWI course covers weapons delivery and tactics whereas the QFI aspects have two different threads ie. teaching generic flying skills from ab initio through advanced training and undertaking type conversion, and these are definitely different subjects.

Back to the thread and 'creamies' ..... They are taught the skills of instruction of flying skills but that training is all that they have to fall back on. They will not have the potentially broader experience of someone who trains as a QFI after one or more operational tours. That is certainly not a criticism but just a factor that needs to be considered. The counter argument is that they may have greater empathy with the students as they have been one very recently.

Many moons ago I did the QWI course on a two seat, single stick aeroplane and then was the pilot QWI on a front line squadron., and most people who did this QWI course followed this path. Therefore, it was not an instructional job per se but on the squadron we managed the weapons training and developed weapon delivery tactics using knowledge that we had gained on the course. However, we had learned the instructional techniques. In a later life I was signed up as Competent to Instruct (later Aircrew Instructor) on 13 different UK military registered types and sent pilots 'solo' in 12 of them but I never did the CFS QFI course. My QWI background plus overall experience gave me the ability to do this. However, what I have never done is to teach someone ab initio to fly as I do not have the knowledge to do that and I feel that this is the real aspect of QFI training and experience that stands alone. But in the other vein I do sometime wonder how many types current QFIs have sent people solo in ....