PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlights
Thread: Microlights
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 15:01
springers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Baywatcher I haven't flown the Blade. Before the merger of Mainair (Rochdale based) and Pegasus (Wiltshire), weight shift pilots were fiercely territorial in their brand loyalty and living and flying in the South I haven't come across many.

In contrast Medway representation is highest close to the M25.

When you meet the Medway people, they will tell you that the Blade wing design is a development of a design copied from an earlier Medway wing, the Puma Sprint.

There is an interesting article that supports this here

I was discouraged from looking at Mainair aircraft because the design makes access to the engine difficult for maintenance.

Earlier aircraft had twin fuel tanks which have led to forced landings when pilot workload has been high.

The later Mainair aircraft with the larger single fuel tank is more awkward to rig because the fuel tank is a very tight fit inside the seat frame/skirt. So for me, three strong negatives, although some can and do live with them.

Looking back through the thread, do bear in mind Pilotage's comment about conversion and reversed controls. I saw a very experienced three axis instructor on his first conversion lesson on a weight shift machine. Let's just say it's fortunate that the aircraft he was flying has a permitted maximum pitch angle of 60 degrees!
S