PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric Regional Aircraft in Service by 2026?
Old 21st Aug 2021, 00:02
MickG0105

Received 219 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by KittyKatKaper
Technical rip-apart at ;
https://leehamnews.com/2021/07/08/th...rcraft-part-2/

TLDR; "Tell 'em they're dreamin"
The energy density for lithium-ion batteries seems to be very much understated in that article. The author writes,

To reach these values, we used a 92% efficiency for the electric propulsion chain, battery-to-propeller-shaft, with 0.250 kWh energy per kg of battery (the energy density on a system level). Densities are today at typically 0.160 kWh per kilo but we upped this with 56% to cater for development in batteries during this decade.
So he is calculating the required battery weight using 0.250 kWh/kg, a figure he purports to be a 56 percent stretch improvement over current technology of 0.160 kWh/kg. However, current technology, the Panasonic 2170 battery used in the Tesla 3, is already delivering 0.260 kWh/kg. A 56 percent stretch on that would be 0.405 kWh/kg, pretty much bang on what Musk was predicting a year ago.

Originally Posted by No Idea Either
Leehamnews is a trusted and reliable source for all things aviation. That article drives a nail in the coffin me thinks…..
I would normally agree wholeheartedly but his assumption on energy density seems to be out of whack on this. I think that he is overstating the requisite battery weight by about 50 percent.

Last edited by MickG0105; 21st Aug 2021 at 00:06. Reason: Added comment to save second post