PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways after Covid
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2021, 11:32
Shackeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! thank goodness I’m long retired. In this context it is amusing to read this blurb on Qatar pilot recruitment: https://www.airlineprep.co.uk/career...nd-assessment/
after reading the reality in this thread. My deepest sympathy with the OP and any others under the QR jackboot.
As the OP asked, how is QR allowed to operate into airports controlled by authorities whose home airlines operate to civilised standards? Having said that, even when I was still flying, my airline had a blacklist of airlines on which we never positioned/ dead headed, but which nevertheless operated into our home airports. QR didn’t exist then, but given the strength of our union, probably would have been on the blacklist, and certainly should be now, given the conditions quoted above.
The problem is, as we know, that standards are de facto left to the airlines’ host country by the international aviation authorities, probably due to pressure from cash strapped ‘Western’ airlines, in order to avoid jeopardising the lucrative routes of home airlines into wealthy countries like Qatar, thus effectively allowing the conditions described herein to exist.
On a not entirely disconnected subject, I recently had a holiday in Oman, and enjoyed the company of an Oman Air training captain who appeared reasonably happy with his airline.(this was pre COVID)

Last edited by Shackeng; 19th Aug 2021 at 16:10.