PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contractual Obligations
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 12:12
RolandPullthrough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strangely enough, I actually wasn't trying to start a pilot worthlessness tirade, blunt ego war and lambasting of every aspect of aviation.

I think that what had occurred to me is that the calibre of men and women that I generally encounter in aviation, thank you Toney_EM for pointing out the one's I had missed, should not be subject to continual erosion in remuneration and conditions just because they are professional enough to continue to perform well thereafter.

Although I am well aware that employees in other industries are subject to the same forces, I don't belive that any other industry is so dependent upon the enthusiasm and genuine concern of its participants. (Incoming: A new tirade with one off examples to deflect the argument.)

Perhaps, seniority enshrines the right of the employer to prune and chop wherever they see fit. As we know, dropping years of seniority to 'start again' is a monumental decision. Few opportunities exist which make that decision sensible.

Perhaps, as someone else suggested it is simply oversupply. Too many wannabes with too much of someone else's money spent on them to get a qualification? I doubt that. Money or no, dedication, application and attitude are still required to enter the workforce. (Yes, again, I'm sure we all know exceptions.)

Perhaps it is just the very attitude and personality that drives us to or enables us to become involved in 'playing aeroplanes' that ultimately leaves us open to our own demise. I can't recommend it to anyone.

Aviation was better last week...