View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 20:27
Ninthace

Received 985 Likes on 582 Posts
Originally Posted by charliegolf
"Right, let's get out of Afghanistan"
"Yes Sir, when?'
"By Sep 1"
"Yes Sir, that gives us x days to get our people out safely, since even primary school children in UK know that the Taliban will mobilise as soon as we move to leave."
"The ANA will stop them, we trained them."
"Mmm, we maybe shouldn't bet on that; and when the Taliban do move, road transport will be a no-no. Our aid workers are all over"

20 more mins of this...

"OK, I want a plan in 24 hours that makes our people safe before we tip our hand."
"Yes Sir."

The people saying, "Yessir!" are the ones who supposedly make it that we sleep safe in our beds.

CG
If only - in reality I think you might find it a tad more complicated that that, Those sort of plans always existed when I was out that way and starting to move 1000s of people from all over to Kabul might tip your hand, especially as they might mention they and their family are packing. Even anticipating a collapse of the ANA, I suspect the speed the Taliban took over took everyone by surprise
There was an occasion when an RAF unit in Germany decided to exercise the families evacuation plan and found itself leading a convoy of German refugees with them.

True story:
Right Ninthace. We have a plan to evacuate to the families and non essential personnel. Yessir
And we have a plan for all the ac to bug out. Yessir
And we have a plan to hold the airfield after that, Yessir
Right, Now I need you to come up with a plan to evacuate the rest of the station when ordered. Yessir
Can I ask a few questions sir?
By all means
How many of us are left alive? Do we have other friendly forces? How many wounded do we have? What transport do we have left? Where is the enemy coming from? What roads are clear and what bridges are still intact? etc,
I don't know.
Well when you do sir, I will have a plan.