PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creamies ?
Thread: Creamies ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 16:10
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Fortunately, by the time I went through TWU at Brawdy in 1976, all was pretty good. The QFIs were (apart from one who disappeared under a cloud many years later, accompanied by a Wg Cdr Plod) good chaps who corrected our handling errors quite benignly. Some of the QWIs had been PAIs, IWIs, and other breeds of weaponeering instructors in the past, but as QWIs they taught us the art of Triggernometry quite enthusiastically. Ciné debriefs were mandatory and the clack, clack, pause of the projector as the QWI used his magic measuring jobber to assess parameters was something most of my generation will remember well. One chap went to the cinema in Haverfordwest one night; when we asked what it was like he said "It was great - the first film I've seen in ages which didn't stop suddenly as someone went up to the screen to measure something, before exclaiming "You're out of range!!" ".....

We also had a Luftwaffe exchange officer instructor who once flew a 1v1 doggers trip with a 'mature' student, little knowing that he'd been an A2 QFI on the Gnat. Every time the 'Inwards turn for combat...go' call was made there'd been half a minute of manoeuvring before the ex-Gnat mate was firmly in his 6. "A bit like the war, eh Herman?" was followed by something of a frosty response...

No doubt it's all done by computer simulation and clever electronics these days, but the roar of an AVPIN start followed by the smell of Aden cordite as you hurled yourself at Pembrey Sands was distinctly character forming and surely missed even by you, eh BV??