PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on Sling HW
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 11:56
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
My thoughts coming from a composite 4 seat aircraft owner.

- I’m not sold on the composite fuselage centre section. They did it to make it look good, but it’s got a metal rear fuselage slapped on the back

- Crash protection in their all metal models was woeful so I hope this one doesn’t crush like a can of coke too
The composite centre section involves lots of double curvature (door apertures etc.), and if made in metal, a lot of separate pieces. By making it in composite, the fibres in the layup will put the strength exactly where it needs to be from a crashworthiness point of view, i.e. producing a strong safety cell, assuming they modelled it properly. The tailcone on the other hand, is a simple single curvature structure, easily and cheaply made in metal. The rounded corners and taper give it stiffness, plus it would be a lot of area to make in composite, when it doesn't need to be. In the event of a very heavy landing in which something has to break, the tailcone maybe designed to fail first; acting as the cheap and easily replaceable fuse in the system, thus preserving the more expensive composite parts and avoiding an expensive composite repair.