PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 10:21
KRviator

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
That's my first recourse. I found nothing, hence the question to the Capn.
I'm not sure I've read the same article, but I've seen several that seem to support that position. Here's but two...
Every day, paediatrician and child psychiatrist Alberto Veloso sees children as young as five struggling with anxiety, depression and thoughts of harming themselves. But what is different is the number of those seeking help has gone up drastically during the pandemic.

"We are getting a 30 to 40 per cent increase in referrals and increasing demand that we have trouble keeping up [with]," Dr Veloso said. "We now have a waitlist. To see one of our clinicians is a couple of months. Source
With Victoria undergoing its sixth lockdown, residents in rural areas of the state are waiting up to three months to see a psychologist, as the strain of repeated stay-at-home orders continues to grow.

Boort psychologist Naomi Malone said that, in every lockdown, more people sought help, and waiting times had blown out. "With our little practice, we usually get one or two enquiries a day, but [during] the last lockdown we had 30 enquiries a week," Dr Malone said. Source
Bear in mind these articles deal exclusively with those that have the courage to reach out for help. I don't know the percentage breakdowns of those that do, vs those that don't, but I'm fairly confident in saying it's heavily skewed towards those that don't and that being the case, there's an awful lot of people out there who need that help but aren't getting it....