PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 08:08
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am intrigued about VS. The CEO was quoted towards the end of last year that a return to LGW had not been completely ruled out (hence the decision to retain their slots at the airport). However, he did make clear that LGW operations would not be reinstated in the short term, given the current situation, and the recent drive to reduce losses and operational costs by consolidating London operations at LHR. That said, the recent expansion of leisure flying by the airline in the Caribbean including the return to UVF might be the reason why VS' return to LGW is being flagged up again. After all, it was the leisure network that has historically been based at LGW, so who knows. Virgin might also be watching JetBlue's upcoming entrance to LGW, in addition to Norse Atlantic, although I suspect this is relatively minor in the bigger scheme of things. I suspect a return to Gatwick will become clearer once slot utilisation rules change, in which case VS will be forced to either use them or lose them permanently. It would be nice to have them back at LGW.