PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2021, 19:02
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,593 Likes on 730 Posts
I wonder how much support they’ll get once the evacuation is over. The Biden administration doubtless won’t - but there may be other Charlie Wilson’s and various agencies willing to do so…..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...iban-kcn50btsh

Afghan vice-president vows to fight on against Taliban

The vice-president of Afghanistan has vowed to fight on and declared himself the caretaker leader of the country.

Amrullah Saleh, who holds the title of first vice-president, cited the Afghan constitution to support his claims, despite Taliban forces storming Kabul and forcing President Ghani to flee the country.

Saleh, 48, tweeted: “As per d constitution of Afg, in absence, escape, resignation or death of the President the FVP becomes the caretaker President. I am currently inside my country & am the legitimate care taker President. Am reaching out to all leaders to secure their support & consensus.”

Saleh fled on Sunday to the Panjshir valley, a mountainous redoubt tucked into the Hindu Kush that never fell to the Taliban during the civil war of the 1990s; nor was it conquered by the Soviet Union a decade earlier.

The first vice-president and Ahmad Massoud, the son of his former mentor and famed anti-Taliban fighter Ahmed Shah Massoud, are putting together a guerrilla movement in the valley, less than 100 miles from Kabul.

Unconfirmed reports added that thousands of Afghans from neighbouring provinces had fled to Panjshir, which is renowned for its natural defences. Such a battle would be the latest episode in Saleh’s long struggle against the Taliban as a one-time insurgent turned spy chief and later vice-premier.

Video emerged today showing Massoud boarding a military helicopter accompanied by a heavily armed entourage. At least 15 people can be seen boarding.

It was not immediately clear from the video if Saleh was on the flight with Massoud, although they were later pictured meeting in the Panjshir region to plan a counteroffensive.

Saleh has vowed not to surrender to the Taliban, writing on Twitter on Sunday: “I won’t dis-appoint millions who listened to me. I will never be under one ceiling with Taliban. NEVER”.

He called on his followers today to “join the resistance”, arguing that “it is futile to argue with [President Biden] on Afghanistan now”. He said supporters “must prove” to the US that Afghanistan “isn’t Vietnam” and the Taliban “aren’t even remotely like Vietcong”.