PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Air Touring Club - Biggin Hill: History Sought
Old 15th Aug 2021, 20:47
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
OLd ATC Club House

Originally Posted by airgirl
Glad to hear that you remember Kevin Hills - he is my uncle! I was one of the bunch of annoying kids that used to be hanging around the club and probably annoying you! My mum and Nan used to run the bar and restaurant. Kevin retired from commercial flying 5 years ago much to his disgust! After Air Touring he flew Merchantman for Air Bridge Carriers. From there he went to Air Europe on B737’s. Following AE’s demise he went to fly for Lauda Air based out of Vienna and ended up flying B777’s on long haul routes. Along the way Lauda became Austrian Airlines who he flew for until his retirement.

I worked at Air Touring when I left school and am still in touch with Roger Patterson. I was back in the old clubhouse last Saturday as my cousin bought Kevin a flight in the Spit for his birthday and we had a family day for it. Was very odd being back there, loads of amazing memories came flooding back.
So pleased that club house has survived it was a friendly hub of aviation and a model of how a club could run., and quite close to some of the original fighter bays. Kevin had been of the instructors 'tasked' to do my glider to ppl conversion (15hrs) (he made it a pleasure). Am I correct in thinking he flew a C310 in his early commercial days.