PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2021, 01:02
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
McGowen on Sky News AM agenda today has said despite the National Cabinet agreement promising the country would open up once 80 per cent of residents had been vaccinated, he would retain a zero COVID policy and not tolerate any COVID cases or deaths in his state. “His state” he owns you all he thinks.
Here's the story...
The WA Premier told Sky News that, despite the National Cabinet agreement promising the country would open up once 80 per cent of residents had been vaccinated, he would retain a zero COVID policy and not tolerate any COVID cases or deaths in his state."We retain the right to put in place border [restrictions], that's understood, but some of the measures we put in place might ease, once we reach that level of vaccination. "I'm looking forward to getting over 80 per cent, apparently no country in the world has got there yet."
No wonder theyre stuffed over there. "No one has got to 80%" yet...Iceland is at 86.3% fully vaccinated...
Asked if he would retain a hard border to New South Wales for an indeterminate period if that state never got to zero COVID cases, Mr McGowan said: "We retain that right, obviously I'd prefer not to".

"My own mother and father and my brother live in NSW and personally I'd love to be able to see them and I know there's many thousands of people in that position... and other people want to go to NSW on holidays or business or whatever it might be... but the best answer I can give to that is for the foreseeable future, probably until the end of the year, we'll have to have a strong border in place with NSW because we can't run the risk of it infiltrating into Western Australia.

"... When they get down to zero or minimal spread, then we can look forward to opening the border."

On the concept of zero COVID and whether it would be sustainable for years into the future, Mr McGowan said: "When people say it's impossible and the like, people have a short memory out there. Victoria went through hell last year... and did what it took. There's a template for you."
There it is folks. "Zero or minimal spread". With Delta, even in a fully vaccinated population that is not going to happen. Consider Iceland or the UK as an example and look at their numbers. The UK, 29,500 cases, 100 deaths with 89.3% / 76.3% vaccinated. Iceland 92.9% / 86.3% and they're still getting around 100 new cases a day - against a population of only 357,000. If we use the same rate for Australia, that's 7,400 Delta cases a day with 86% ofour population fully vaccinated! The equivalent UK rate for our population would be 11,000 cases a day.

McGowan's got rocks in his head if he thinks there's going to be "zero or minimal spread" with this Delta strain, even if we got to 90% vaccinated.