PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covid Shot - Side Effects?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:00
43Inches

Received 424 Likes on 233 Posts
Im not sure who you are directing this at 43? I'm pretty strong on bio stats and epidemiology and can bore you to death at a Covid party on positive predictive values, risk ratio's and the differences between specificity and sensitivity. But you're right from the aspect that everything we do in life, including flying a plane involves an element of risk. Each of us just has varying degrees of acceptance of that risk. When it comes to vaccine's again there is a risk, but like you said, it's incredibly small. Is it not worth talking about? No, as everyone should be fully aware of what those risks are, but they're incredibly small too. In the words of Gladys, vaccines offer "Green Shoots!"
It's a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular. However stats beyond 1:10000 are so negligible that general life risks exceed them therefore it's really not worth mentioning. My point being the effects of sub 1:100 stats are noticeable, you would notice the dead for instance what happened in NY with freezer trucks full of bodies. Where getting anxious over 1:100,000 stats of getting a clot just is needless worry over something that is not a "risk" per se. And we can see how the general public responded to that overall. Over 1:10,000 you have already passed your chance of lopping a finger off with a mower today, or falling off a ladder and breaking a hip territory.

I just looked up some stats, and a Lawn Mower has about 1:10,000 chance of maiming a user. Shopping trollies have about a 1:20,000 chance of causing injury to a user requiring hospitalisation. Just silly numbers that wouldn't stop you using either.

Last edited by 43Inches; 14th Aug 2021 at 03:13.