PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does UK CAA continue to use the technically incorrect term "Drone"?
Old 13th Aug 2021, 19:05
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Having done a little research: I discovered that the term 'Drone' is very much British and goes back many centuries in England. The male bee was nicknamed a Drone as early as the 17th century and we still refer to the sound of 'droning' coming from bees. Back in 1883 a kite was rigged with a camera and can probable be called the first ever Drone. Later in the 1930s a British DH82 82B was developed as a unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) for the Royal Navy and was the first unmanned aircraft used for aerial survey and also known as Drone. The U.S. navy went on to develop their own UAV types but also calling them Drones. EASA didn't originate the term but obviously adopted it more recently.

I seems to me to be perfectly proper to continue to use the generic term Drone but perhaps also subtitled specifically to indicate a particular type or purpose: remote controlled, pre-programmed and whether it is used for freight, survey or warfare. So DRONE gets my vote and keeps it simple.