PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2021, 07:44
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by blubak
Daniel Andrews said today he would have thought it wasnt too hard for airlines to check permits of people flying from nsw to other destinations & i must say i agree with him,isnt it in the interests of the airlines to stop people flying to places they shouldnt be going to & help stop the spread which ultimately will get other borders & states open to each other.
That's true to a point, but the couple that flew in to Melbourne from Sydney the other day did so on Green Zone permits ie. they didn't tell the truth. Airlines and their staff have no capacity or authority to check people's stories. Someone lies on their application, turns up with a green zone or exempt worker permit, how are airlines possibly supposed to check this?

Also, each state has different entry and permit requirements and different software systems, GTG passes, SAPol passes, Q passes, check-in apps, QR codes etc. and the requirements change so frequently that they are virtually impossible to keep up with. Again, there is a strong argument for a nationally consistent approach with national hotspot definitions and permit requirements - but if we'd been able to achieve any national consensus on anything we probably wouldn't need any such systems, but I digress.

It's possibly another layer in the defence to some extent, but don't expect it to be a panacea. Checks would still need to be performed on arrival at whatever the destination may be.