PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Taxation Changes to Residency Rules
Old 13th Aug 2021, 01:33
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
In the last 15 years, I have spent less than 3 weeks a year in Australia. When I retire, I want to spend a few months a year there and the rest in SE Asia. When I stop working I’ll sit down with my accountant and work out if the benefits of residence, such as Medicare and tax free income threshold, outweigh the downside of being tax resident, and plan accordingly.
If you are an expatriate and don't have comprehensive private health coverage you're a mug. In my time abroad, I went to a number of fundraisers for airline pilots, who had not insured themselves properly. They and their families sent to ruin by medical bills. Medicare doesn't come into it!

I think some of the changes coming into effect are for folks with retirement aspirations like yourself. Like the opening poster here, there will be little sympathy from Australian resident taxpayers. Residency status has been abused over the years and unfortunately, some undeserving pilots ( and other expats ) are going to pay an unfair price.