PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Leather Flying Jacket
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2021, 15:29
chopper2004

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts
Grrr

Originally Posted by clingon3
When 25 Sqn reformed at Leeming as an F3 Sqn, their Boss, Mick Martin, wanted the Sqn to have an 'identity'. Aviation Leathercraft supplied the 25 Sqn Tornado Jacket to those guys on the Sqn at a discounted rate and the 'identity' was born.....

The Staish at Valley got to hear about said jackets being worn with uniform and banned them for the Sqn MPC at STCAAME roundabout 1990. He didn't want his impressionable young students being misled. Well those cheeky chappies of 25 Sqn did take their jackets to Valley but never wore them. The Det photo though was just of jackets on hangers, hooked over the 'Winder' rail with each owners name on the photo but with the title 'No Jacket Allowed' (required, gettit?). Don't know if the photo ever got to STCAAMEs corridor wall but it certainly didn't hurt anyones career-the Qwip achieved Air Rank and is now a Director Of Something Important with the CAA!
Be great to see the photo please

My 2502 25 sqn Tornado jacket is still in good nick a decade after I purchased it and perhaps todays 25 Sqn instructors should ask Manning & standards if Aviation Leathercraft should reissue this but take out the silhoutte of the F3 from the label.

I wore mine a month ago when flying in the AW149 NMH at Yeovil a month ago,

Cheers