PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will be in the air on December 17th?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 04:05
Kolibear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a wonderful day! And it was also the sort of weather we dream about.

Mrs K & I got to North Weald at about 9:30 to discover that there was ain mpromptu Fly-in planned. We deiced the Koliber and took off for Old Warden at about 10:30, so we missed the Boxkite. There was an incredible number of aircraft arriving at Old Warden so a big thank you to Vintageatco for getting us all in safely.

I managed a half-decent landing - and Man-on-the-fence has photographic evidence of it too! But even at 11:00 the flight line was full so we parked at the very far end where shortly afterward mcross parked 'The Bitch' next to us. A Hawk did a low fly-by so we all waved vigorously. It was a bit embarrassing to walk the length of the flight line (I lost count at about 30 aircraft) and realise that I could only identify about 10 of them - hope Santa bring me a copy of The Observers Book of Light Aircraft!

Its been 15 years since we last visited Shuttleworth and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Its amazing to see so many old aircraft and even more amazing to realise that most of them are airworthy.

We met a few ppuners -stiknruda, mcross, Blue Robin and man-on-the-fence.

We saw the World's Most Beautiful Aeroplane's No 1 and No 2, (Spitfire and Comet), before heading off to Koli, Mrs K clutching her latest purchase, a Shuttleworth Teddy Bear pilot to go with the other six who just happened to have stowed away with us to join in the celebration!

The flight back to North Weald was uneventful, even though it was very hazy into the sun. After a cuppa and something to eat, we did it all over again! A short local flight over our respective workplaces so we could feel suitable sorry for our desk-bound colleagues - not!

So it was that we managed to be rejoining the circuit at 15:35, 100 years to the minute.

We were amazed at the number of aircraft that we saw during the day - a lot of aviators must have made the effort. North Weald recorded about 70 movements and made the evening news when a ppruner took a 100yr old lady for her first flight.

Thanks to all who made this a day to remember, especially the Weather Gods,