PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luxair F50 Crash: Pilot's Fault
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 04:03
Cfretland

411A brings up an interesting issue regarding pilot experience. The European philosophy is a little different when it comes to pilot hiering procedures. If you have 300 TT and can pass the VERY important two day aptitude tests/IQ tests, then you have what it takes. They really don't emphesise to much on flight experience, because you will be TRAINED.
The problem with this is that you will be placed in the right seat as a first officer. You are logging several thousand hours of pilot time but everything is SIC time. We all know how easy it is sitting in the right seat, not having to make any decisions and the decisions you do have to make are always "overlooked" up by a captain.
Than one day you upgraded to captain with a lot of total time but perhaps only a few hundred PIC and you are placed with a 300 hour co-pilot.....now suddenly YOU are the one in charge with nobody to back up your actions.
In the USA things are a little different. There you gain valuable PIC expreience by flying cargo/charter/flight instruction etc. There you learn to be in charge and gain captain experience flying light singles/twins before meeting the airline requirements.
I just got hired flying EMB-145 with 2800 TT and 2600 PIC. Currently flying as captain(single pilot) on King Air 200/100/90 and Navajos.
I have learned to make dicisions whitch in my humble opinion is the hard part....not the flying.