PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Mild Aspergers Syndrome UK Class 1 medical
Old 12th Aug 2021, 02:06
dhoesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Points asked.....
{Currently I work in an emergency service control room and a colleague has continually pointed out that they think I have have autism (albeit in a joke like manner - not very pleasant!)}

{As I have not been formally diagnosed and have no idea whether or not I even have the condition, I’m wondering if it’s worth mentioning to the CAA? Saying that I would prefer to be as transparent as possible and am very confident that if I do have the condition it is very minor and would not be a barrier to entry. I have considered going to the GP regarding this however am slightly nervous that once the topic has been raised, there is no going back.}

I will also chime in, my first recommendation is not to bring it up with the CAA or necessarily your practitioner. I would however begin to address the symptoms with a therapist or counselor who is trained and very familiar with the reporting requirements of the CAA. I am intimately familiar with the FAA requirements, not so much of the CAA. The caution here is the diagnosis. Work with someone who will speak with you about managing the symptoms (with CBT or a similar modality) and not identifying a diagnosis. We must be cognitive of the possibilities with symptoms. If they could possible effect out performance then we must address them. Not speaking about the concerns helps no one. I recommend IM SAFE to assess for readiness to fly; examine your, Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol (and other drugs), Fatigue, Eating/hydration. If the symptoms cause you stress address them. Feel free to send me a message if you like. Best of luck and blue skies.....
Douglas A Hoesch, LCSW