PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow-4
Thread: Glasgow-4
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2021, 01:14
nivsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the future for GLA?

I have not been to my home town or airport for nearly two years. Last time I was there I saw a remarkable decline in the airport. Quiet terminal (went through 4 times on separate flights), very few aircraft on the ground, and a general apathy. It actually reminded me of Prestwick many years ago in quiet times.

Carriers and the management team for whatever reason are unable to encourage, motivate and persuade new scheduled blood.

Sure we can all point at COVID, but I'm sure it will pass. What then? With Virgin the latest casualty to the east coast has GLA anything more to offer beyond feeding London, Amsterdam and Dublin? Sure there will always be some charter market (although I'm sure it's much less than when I was even a lot younger many years ago now). Emirates must surely despite the investment they put into at GLA must be having a re think or perhaps with market research they may consider EDI as the way forward.

I feel sorry for GLA. I also feel that no wonder what the situation is market wise the management team need to be visibly Pro active to encourage carriers to their airport and not just shop retail units. Has any of the shop units closed?

Last edited by nivsy; 12th Aug 2021 at 07:47.