PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex RAF Wing Commander cleared of stealing nameplate
Old 11th Aug 2021, 19:30
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by hec7or
I would imagine that the nameplate is easier to hang on the garage wall than the complete locomotive and is therefore a more sensible purchase, running costs are probably a bit less too.
It is true that owning certain famous large locomotives has reduced some millionaires to becoming lesser millionaires, but enthusiast groups and societies have banded together to own and to operate them as a means of preserving and displaying them to later generations, so that they may the better appreciate these powerhouses of our industrial and transport heritage. That is something that we can all share. A nameplate hung on a garage wall simply indulges its owner to a greater or lesser extent, and impresses, or not, his friends and relations. It's a free country, and of course in these days of disowning and condemning our history, the privacy of the garage wall is perhaps the best place to exhibit such relics. I wouldn't know. I am in this world but not of it.