PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple question from a now (much older) wannabe.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 13:28
ShaunLanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
What he said. If you have all that money to blow on pilot training, blow it on something else. Your family should be the number one priority and chasing an expensive pipe dream at your age with very little chance of a return on that investment - certainly not in the next 5 to 10 years - is somewhat selfish and not in the best interest of your family. Learn a trade. Roof tilers and plumbers earn heaps more than newly minted commercial helicopter pilots..
Thanks for the reply but you may have misread my original post. I'm currently a geologist and as much as I'd love to retrain to become a plumber I think my trade is OK.

Originally Posted by B2N2
Consider doing your PPL-H in Canada or the US.
Still eye watering compared to fixed wing but a great deal cheaper then in the UK.
Then make a final decision.
The problem with the aviation industry is that you learn about the industry and it’s possibilities as you go along.
Something which is very difficult to explain to a non-participant.
Canada is immigration friendly, the US is not.
South America generally requires citizenship and language fluency.
Leaves jobs in Africa, Middle East and Asia as Australia is notoriously protective of its pilot market.
I hadn't thought of training in Canada but its somewhere my partner and I have toyed with moving there. BC helicopters quote $64k for a CPL. That is extremely cheap when comparing to the UK costs.

Can you recommend any schools to consider in Canada? I've done a quick google and it doesn't seem like a huge problem to convert to a UK one. What is the job market like out in Canada for low hour pilots?

I appreciate all your replies it's all food for thought.