PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple question from a now (much older) wannabe.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 10:13
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
What Agile said, plus, certainly in Canada, you will need something on top of the basic CPL, such as a mountain course or an IR depending on where you end up.

Employers want people with 10,000 hours, type ratings on everything made since the Wright Brothers, a Master’s degree, the willingness to carry baggage and clean helicopters if they’re not already helping the engineer maintain them, have worked for one outfit only during their career and left only when the owner died, and willing to work everywhere on a moment’s notice for undefined periods, plus 2000 hours single pilot IFR, 2000 hours precision and/or production longlining, with 2000 hours of that above 7000 feet, plus 2000 hours offshore. And be younger and less qualified than the Chief Pilot! I'm not entirely joking. My mum still thinks I went out for a coffee.

Another tip for a low hours pilot is to get another language - only 21% of the world speaks English.

I would be very careful about training packages. You can often source better value yourself. Exercise due diligence and standard business caution.

Phil