PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple question from a now (much older) wannabe.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 08:05
FWRWATPLX2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaun,

I enjoyed a career spanning 36 years, in Aviation, before retirement. I started as an Army helicopter pilot, flying the Bell Iroquois. It took twenty years after graduating Army flight training to become a Captain flying Boeing 747-400 jumbo jets.

The best helicopter flying job I had was flying two different multi-engine IFR corporate helicopters. I was the first Instrument Check Airman for that employer. Anything prior to that or since, flying helicopters was a disappointment. Why? It is the stuff the rat bag employers expect you to do for them. And, they have no compunction telling you, 'if you don't do it, I will find someone who will'. Put your life, your Pilot Licence, your reputation on the line, just so they can make a buck. You work your a$$ off, take the risks, carry the company, then they go out of business anyway, and don't pay you what they owe you, in the end. Goodbye, not even a thank you.

Oh there are a lot of very nice helicopters to fly, but not a heck of a lot of nice employers to fly them for, unless you land a corporate job or maybe a gig flying big IFR twins out to oil rigs for a well known employer. I have flown about 12 different helicopters, mostly twin, and single pilot. And, I was flying the Bell Iroquois in the Reserve, as a weekend or weakened warrior. But, I quickly decided I wanted to pursue more money, more respect for pilots and an airline career, so I aggressively built my aeroplane flying hours, doing lots and lots of Charter and Cargo flying, yet still flying in the Reserve.

If I found I was stagnating at an employer, I would go where there was more flying, more money, and better equipment.

To make it to the career pinnacle of flying the Boeing 747-400 as a captain demanded, demanded a whole lot of personal sacrifice and an absolute determination that I would not do anything that would risk my Pilot Licence. It was easier to tell an employer to go eff themselves rather than push an aircraft or the regs. If you are only 30, you are still young enough to become a Captain flying Boeing 747s, (pre-COVID). But, you may end up divorced. Keep in mind that COVID has put a lot of hungry pilots out of work. I retired before COVID. I am nobody's competition.

Choose wisely.

Good luck.