PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple question from a now (much older) wannabe.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 03:59
ChrisVJ

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Many of the jobs available come with requirements beyond a simple CPL(H), might be hours, hours in a particular state or province, qualifications for post service test, training, long lining or cargo sling etc, etc, ad infinitum.

There is a shortage of suitable qualified helicopter pilots around here at the moment. Last year was a) light on fires, b) Covid. This year the companies put off early hiring and put off training and now, of course, it is a big fire year Probably because of last year a number of mature pilots took positions in other businesses or started their own and now won't go back.

On a personal note: I am colour blind so could not get a CPL. I don't believe in regrets but it still pisses me off after fifty eight years. Also I know there are a good number of helicopter pilots out there but you need to go and try it. My view is it takes a whole skill and training level beyond fixed wing. (Three of my kids do it, but then they are all brighter than I am!)
Son No 1 is now civil and had no trouble getting a contract. (Most are seasonal. In a good year he can earn in six months what he would have earned as a twelve year CAF captain, in a poor year a bit less but he has six months to make it up with odds and sods, besides he has time to renovate the house.)

The problem for civil ab initio CPLs is that the number of jobs you can do is limited. Flying tourists in an ICE helicopter, traffic reporting, instructing etc. The cost of getting into anything more is huge. Lots of hours and turbine experience