PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2021, 00:13
dr dre

Received 357 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
So what is his plan if we do not achieve that figure? Because, so far as I can tell, there isn't one! These are "targets", these 70%, 80% figures, and while they are based on "health advice" they do not provide any guideline or response should these goals not be met! But also from that article:
Well I guess the plan, as agreed to by National Cabinet, is to remain in Phase A, so lockdowns and restrictions.

But I don’t think that’ll happen, just to clarify the rates of 70 and 80% are based on the over 16 population, not total population. So that would boost Australia’s rate to 23% at the moment, and then you have the UK over 70% of over 18s, Canada at 71% of over 12s, and the trend line in vaccinations in those countries is still heading upwards so Australia’s targets should be achievable.

Meanwhile, in Iceland...
Also, meanwhile, in Iceland (from the same news.com.au article which in typical news.com.au fashion sensationalises the headline but buries less fearing mongering info deep in the article):The latest outbreak – despite its size – has so far claimed none (lives).

It (the vaccine) is limiting hospitalisation and death.

Iceland’s government is not discouraged.

“Evidence shows that the vaccines used in Iceland protect about 60 per cent of those fully vaccinated against any kind of infection caused by the Delta variant of the virus and over 90 per cent against serious illnesses,” Iceland’s Director-General Bryndís Kjartansdóttir said.

“About 97 per cent of those infected have mild or no symptoms.”

For a more sensible take on the situation in Iceland check out this:

Fact Check-COVID-19 cases in Iceland are not proof that vaccines are ineffective