PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2021, 12:11
Transition Layer

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Potsie Weber
Mark McGowan has stepped up criticisms of Gladys Berejiklian's response to Sydney's COVID-19 outbreak, declaring her comments indicating the need to "live with" the Delta variant were "totally wrong". "I just want to be totally clear - we cannot accept that position. We don't live with it. We don't tolerate it. We don't let it linger," he said.

"We suppress it and we get rid of it. That is the Australian approach to the virus."

Mr McGowan previously hinted at enforcing an indefinite hard border with NSW unless the state can "crush and kill the virus".

"We still reserve the right to lockdown in specific locations if absolutely necessary.

I strongly doubt that even with 80% vaccinated, WA will have an open border to NSW if there are still hundreds of cases per day. I think it was on the radio a few days ago that McGowan said the national cabinet agreement was zero community transmission.
McMaoan better be careful sprouting off that sort of nonsense or he’ll never get anywhere near 80%. You need the threat of cases to get people vaccinated. No cases, no threat of community transmission and you’ll struggle to even get past 70%. His loyal subjects, the apathetic bogan majority in WA, have been lulled into a false sense of security thanks to him. The national vaccine stats confirm it.

Although part of me thinks it may be his plan after all. The closed border is winning him votes and no one can leave to spend their money in more interesting parts of the country or the world...he probably doesn’t care if 80% is ever reached, because it gives him the power to stay shut for a lot longer.