PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2021, 11:01
turbantime

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
I "can" make some comment on that question based on personal experience among my little group albeit I have not been infected that I am aware of.

Our girls aged between 30 and 60 returned infected from VIC, none of them can say they are fully restored to precovid condition.
All of them have a variety of strange occurrences, bruising that comes and goes mainly on the arms hands and legs, but the most concerning ones are fatigue and breathlessness episodes, these occur without warning, mostly at rest or sleeping, only one of the four is serious enough to occasionally need to reach for the oxygen mask. She is presumably a Long Covid statistic, because of the need to have available oxygen. The others don't require oxygen at least yet, but they are the younger, we don't know which way that's going to go long term.
We also don't actually know how you become a Long Covid statistic, two of the youngest ones are reluctant to declare it.
Fatigue, can last hours, varying in degree from unable to stand up unassisted to not able to lift a coffee cup. Breathlessness, comes on suddenly without warning and can last up to 20 mins. Varies from sit up and take a few deep breaths to reach for the oxygen mask.

The official statistic we think is 15% effected become Long Covid sufferers, we don't know how that is derived. Based on those we know that went to VIC discussing it among themselves, we think it's more like 1 in 3.with the two concerning symptoms.

In answer to the question, none of us have been overly concerned about the risk of dying from Covid, Long Covid however has our undivided attention.
That is one heck of a warning tale. All the anti-whatever’s talking about 98-99% survival rate need to read your story. Survival does not equal recovery. The long term effects are significant. Thanks for sharing your story.