PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non immigrants work permit and pilot job.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 11:17
Climb150

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Flocks
Hello all.

Here is the situation. I m from Europe 36years old, with 5000TT and current flying as CPT on 737ng until end of this summer season.
I have previous experience on C510 Mustang, Embraer 170/190, Dash 8 Q400.

The employer of my wife if thinking to create a USA branch (they are already doing business in USA) and would like to send my wife overseas as manager, it will give her a E2 Visa as investors, what is a non immigrants Visa. From what we understood on internet it will give me the possibility to have a non immigrants work permit for 2 years, that can be renewed unlimited depending the E2 of my wife and her job.

Here is the question : can I find a job as pilot after conversion of my EASA licence in FAA with my 2 year renewable non immigrants work permit ? Or does airline will not take any risk because every 2 years I could be "kick out" depending of the business of my wife.
I don't really mind to be a first officer or the type of aircraft, but with my experience is that possible to think to do a Direct entry Captain in some regional airline ? Or more ? In VIP ?

Any advice and answer are really appreciated as if I can t work, even if this opportunity is amazing for my wife, it is going to be difficult to make it works (her employer want her to go at least for 5 year, to launch and do all the set up, I m 'ot going to not fly for 5 years)

Thanks for your answer.
​​​​​​It is possible to get employed on an EAD (employment authorization document) at an airline in the USA. An employer in the USA can only ask to see the documents that prove you are legal to work, they can't ask how long it is valid for.

​​​​​​You can not be a Capt in the USA for a part 121 carrier unless you have 1000 hours operating as a crew member in a 121 operation (FO usually but part 135 PIC is eligible too).

​​​​​​I would stay away from regional airlines and go with a business jet operator. It will be a good introduction to flying in the USA without the months long commitment of airline training footprint.
​​​​