PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2021, 10:40
Xeptu

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective
Isn't the relative threat of infection following full vaccination a factor of the individual vaccine efficacy?? I've had the first AZ and decided to wait the whole 12 weeks to get the second one as it apparently pushes the efficacy to near 100% (certainly in the 90s, as opposed to the 70s I believe when 1 and 2 are 4 weeks apart).

I'm happy to be corrected as I am not a Doctor but that would suggest to me on logic that at 90%+ the chance of getting infected or getting infected and having ANY symptoms is pretty slim, whereas lower efficacy might mean infection and slight symptoms.

I watch Bill Maher's Real Time occasionally and a month or two ago he was tested for Covid and tested positive although he had been fully vaccinated (not sure which one or the time between the doses, but since he's in the US, I'd guess Moderna, Pfizer or J&J) and according to his Press Release, while the virus was present in his system, he had absolutely zero symptoms.
Yes!, that's exactly the way I understand it works "today" we'll still become infected, we'll still be contagious albeit to a lesser degree, we just may not know it (assymptomatic). That still doesn't address any long term implications that infection may cause.

Reiterating prior to Covid, most thought as I did, vaccination prevents infection, which isn't the case for Corona Viruses. Sorta makes sense otherwise we should have eliminated the flu by now.