PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oakey Aerodrome Airspace
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2021, 11:16
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Captain Midnight, you state:
With reference to DAH and I assume the relevant determination instrument the Oakey, Williamtown etc.CTRs are legally declared as Control Zones, no reference to Military CTR.
The references and symbology for the latter are on charts, I assume to indicate to pilots that they are different to civil CTRs with respect to the type of traffic therein and the fact that they are managed by military (RAAF) ATCs. I don't see a problem with that.

CM, you are correct, in the DAH, CASA OAR has authorised a Control Zone Class C, no reference, as you correctly state to a Military CTR. According to the Airspace Act and Regulations, the operating agency (ADF or Airservices) does not have the authority to change to Class D, as the ADF does for military traffic. If they want to do that then they should ask for a Restricted Area. This enables them to provide whatever "service" they choose. (See Nowra as a comparison) You mention charts as if they are authoritative documents. Charts are like all other non-regulatory documents, they are required to reflect the regulations. Airservices and the ADF simply do not have the authority to publish something on a chart that is different from the authority granted by CASA, and whether the controllers wear air force pyjamas or T-shirts and jeans is also not mentioned in the regulations.

While you "don't see a problem with that" I regret that I do.