PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHL S92 lawsuit
Thread: CHL S92 lawsuit
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2021, 06:13
torqueshow

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by industry insider
I just can't see what's wrong with a rotor blade touching the sea? In the 80s, we used to regularly give all the blades a quick dip during a shuttle flights to give them a wash. It improved performance taking off from undersized bow mounted low helidecks at night meaning we could ask for additional doughnuts and ice cream. If the "too heavy" light illuminated on the dashboard, we used to stick some blue tack over it to stop it becoming annoying.

What's wrong with today's passengers? They are going soft. I thought Canadians wore big boy pants.

I have been called as an expert witness.
https://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rappor.../a19a0055.html

According to the actual report, the is no evidence of the blade ever having touched the water, so that statement by passengers is simply conjecture. Likewise I can’t imagine one of the huge blades on an S92 making contact with water without ripping itself to pieces.

As 212man posted earlier:

Use in legal, disciplinary or other proceedings
The Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act states the following:
 7(3) No finding of the Board shall be construed as assigning fault or determining civil or criminal liability.
 7(4) The findings of the Board are not binding on the parties to any legal, disciplinary or other proceedings.
Therefore, the TSB’s investigations and the resulting reports are not created for use in the context of legal, disciplinary or other proceedings.
Notify the TSB in writing if this investigation report is being used or might be used in such proceedings.

So this begs the question, are they using information from the report? The Prosecution certainly mentions the screens going blank, something I highly doubt any passenger would have noticed during the incident and is only a result of the generators dropping offline.

And if they’re not using information from the report because they can’t then it’s all witness statement with no corroborating evidence.

I’m sure the experience was scary for the passengers, but I was a passenger in a fixed wing years ago that hit the runway hard in a storm and damaged the gear before going around and diverting. Can I file a class action lawsuit for that?