PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Downgrade' ME IR to SE IR??
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2021, 09:50
Standby For Start

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Downgrade' ME IR to SE IR??

Good morning

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my ME IR that is due for revalidation soon. I hold a UK CPL with ME IR and have completed all the ATPL ground school subjects. All my ratings (SEP, MEP, ME IR, and IR(R)) are current, but I'm considering revalidating my IR on a SEP aircraft this year instead. My intention when completing all my training around 10 years ago was to seek part time work somewhere with a view to enjoying the flying while retaining my 'day job' of Air Traffic Controller. For numerous reasons, this has yet to happen and in the current climate I really can't see any opportunities in the near future. In addition, I feel that as I already have an established career, I don't want to be blocking any opportunities for those who wish to become full time professional aviators. My flying has always been mainly SEP and I enjoy touring, hence the interest in retaining the IR rather than allowing it to lapse.

The question I have is if I were to 'downgrade' (for want of a better way of putting it) my ME IR to a SE IR, would it be possible to regain it at some point in the future? I'm assuming this would involve training and a test, but is that with a CAA flight examiner or a local one?

Any information and advice would be very welcome indeed.

Cheers