PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA pilots threatened with AWARD wages
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2021, 04:56
anonfly

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
The other thing to consider - and I speak from experience here, having had my salary compared to a surgeon (and unsurprisingly during EBA negotiations) - is "What will the public think if we go on strike over <X,Y & Z>?"

There's already a belief that Pilots are overpaid bus driver's these days, and rejecting an EBA that offers:
is not going to win anyone any friends except for those already working, or about to start, with VA. The court of public opinion would be well and truly against you, when you consider how many people have lost work, or are out of work due to The Pestilence and you're seen to be turning your nose up at an EBA that will be said to offer a 1st Year FO $150K+ for those kinds of "hours".
I always find the court of public opinion a fascinating argument to not stand up for one self.
The public aren’t the one doing the job.
Weirdly I think right now the public couldn’t care.
Look at the tourism industry, entertainment, cafe, bars, small business owners that have been wiped out. The public doesn’t care. Apparently it’s going gang busters the economy. People have short memories and even shorter attention spans. They only care about themselves. So unless they are directly affected by PIA I think they are happy going about their merrily way.
Also as a pub test ask people what “airline” pilots earn. It’s always way over estimated 9/10. The answers will surprise you.
Management certainly couldn’t give a toss about public opinion. Mandating a 15% cost in “savings” but awarding $42 million in “shares” to the executives?!!! It’s taking from one pocket and putting it in the other.
All EBAs were part of the KPI required for that $42 million in shares to be awarded along with other metrics.
The matter boils down to the fact the pilot body is stuck between a rock and a hard place. No good options but to tread carefully.
Myself I’m still making up my mind. I go from yes to no daily, multiples times per day.