PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiss of life for Acer needed.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 07:57
netstruggler

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lossiemouth
More thanks for the replies; I've managed some form of reset, but fear I've made things worse!

The keyboard is now extremely erratic, and often hasn't even got numbers, this makes things extremely difficult. However the worst thing is that the wifi connect can't be accessed, as when it requests the security key it will only take the first three letters/numbers.

The date on restart was current, so does that rule out the battery?

Once again thanks for the help, and hints.
When you say 'reset' what did you actually do? In computer speak 'reset' normally just means stop everything and start up again without resorting to powering off.

If I was you I'd download either the 'Windows Media Creation Tool' or a Linux build such as LUbuntu onto a USB stick and boot from that. At least you'd find out if the hardware was OK.

You'll need to know if the Acer is 32bit or 64bit but otherwise the windows tool is easy to use to create a bootable USB. Putting the downloaded Linux image onto a bootable USB isn't trivial if you haven't done it before, but it's not difficult with a little help from Google or this list.

You'd be able to run Linux directly off the USB. With windows you'd have to try a repair or a reinstall. From what you've described so far it sounds like the repair would probably fail. If you know your existing Windows 10 licence number then that should work on a reinstall. Otherwise an unlicensed copy can be still be useful, depending on what you want it for.

Good Luck.