PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Good Old Days (not so)
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2021, 19:11
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by munnst
Wasn't there a day in the 50's where something like five aircraft were lost at air displays across the country.
All fatal and one which landed on a house killing the occupants.
I had read somewhere (source exscapes me) that a likely cause was ex wartime crews pushing the envelope, making mistakes.
PTSD perhaps?
It was either a day or the cumulative total from two weekends of Battle of Britain days at various stations; I remember encountering this while looking for something else - either in Flight (when their archive was accessible), the Times archive or possibly a question in Hansard.

As an aside, from the written answers in Hansard in December 1951

Jet Aircraft (Fatal Accidents)

Mr. E. L. Mallalieu asked the Under-Secretary of State for Air in how many fatal accidents jet fighters have been involved in the last six months; and how many of these have occurred in Lincolnshire.

Mr. Birch. Between 1st June and 30th November of this year there were 45 fatal Royal Air Force jet aircraft accidents; two of these were in Lincolnshire.

And January 1954:

Jet Aircraft (Accidents)

Sir L. Ropner asked the Under-secretary of State for Air the number of fatal accidents to jet aircraft in the United Kingdom for the 12 months ended 31st December, 1953; and what was the number of personnel who were killed as a result of these accidents.

Mr. Ward In the United Kingdom during 1953 there were 91 fatal accidents to Royal Air Force jet aircraft in which 112 members of the Royal Air Force lost their lives. These figures are slightly lower than the comparable figures for 1952, although the number of hours flown during the year was about one third greater.