PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackhawk Emergency Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:39
60FltMech

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Agree that a lot doesn’t show up on the checklist. Speaking from the “crewie” perspective, it is a pain to dive into the checklist and back up the guys up front like they want us to, mainly because years of immediate action to emergencies have been drilled into them, they are so fast responding that I can rarely catch up! Which, as someone else has mentioned on this topic, can result in less than desirable outcomes.

I will say though, the biggest positive in the crew coordination efforts the Army is driving includes pulling the guys in the back into the diagnostic part of the emergency more than in the past, and the aircrew training manual lines out more what we should be doing in the back as far as confirming PCL(ECL) and fuel selector lever positions etc.

Having experienced only one real world emergency in my time working on these things the big takeaway was that the calm assessment of the situation by my pilots resulted in a non-event, we landed safely back at our home field after a single engine failure. The affected engine was properly identified, Was left running until it was determined that there was no good reason to keep it running due to rising TGT/lack of power indications at which point it was shut down.

Of course not everyone is calm and collected and nobody knows how they are going to respond when something bad really happens in the aircraft until it happens.

On that note, is there anybody on here that has been a crew chief who can offer any additional insights on how to help and not hinder during emergencies?