PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astigmatism and Mitochondria Disease
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2021, 18:26
AllThrustNoFlaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astigmatism and Mitochondria Disease

I'm from Denmark and i have always dreamt of flying.

I'm gonna go get my Medical in a month or two, now my issue is i have a ''mild'' astigmatis of -2,25 on my right eye, and -1,25 on my left - so my right eye is above the 2.00 mark.
Now if i get prescription glasses and have them tailored to my vision and then they correct my astigmatism can i then just show up at my medical with the glasses?

My Medical examiner wont answer it and just tells me to show up, and thus having to pay 2.000USSD to get a yes or no.
Rather if i knew i wouldnt pass, i would look into LASIK surgery and have my astigmatism removed and then show up

Another question i have been diagnosed with signs of a Mitochondrial Disease, they just dont know which one since it has not progressed.

The only symptom i have is that my mobility in my eyes is slightly smaller than normal, meaning i cant move my ''eye'' as much to the right as a ''normal'' person, but all OTHER points with my eyes are perfect except for the astigmatism which gets corrected by glasses.
Does anyone know if this is enough for me to be told unfit to fly?

I have heard about numerous pilots who became pilots with one eye, a hole in their heart and other crazy stuff.

My eye sight is perfect, but my mobility is limited, tough my field of vision is normal, and i never knew i had this ''mobility issue'' since i always automatically corrected by just moving my head 0.005 degrees to where i wanna look, which takes 0.0000001 milliseconds.

Im in distress, can anyone maybe calm me, or shatter my dreams of becoming a pilot?

Last edited by AllThrustNoFlaps; 1st Aug 2021 at 11:34.