PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pull up a sandbag ~ "I remember when..
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2021, 13:50
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Indeed, Haraka! A lot of lads would use some of HM's dayglo tape to write R A F on the bottom of an aircrew holdall, then wear it like a backpack to improve their chances of a lift.

Chugging back to London University in my old Anglebox in the early '70s I gave such a chap a lift from the Andover bypass to wherever it was he was going. We chatted amiably for a while until he asked what I did and I told him I was an RAF APO. Then he became rather "You officer, me OR" and sat staring out of the window until I dropped him off.

The same Anglebox let me down when I was driving from Cranwell proudly wearing my thin stripe. Somewhere on the Fosse Way it finally decided enough was enough and I just made it to a lay-by. I walked to Stow and found a police station - and a wonderful country Bobby sorted out recovery of the car to a garage and knew of Mrs someone-or-other who would put me up for the night. Her late hubby had been in the RAF and she would always help out 'Her boys in blue'.

But when 'The Troubles' became a serious threat we were ordered never to appear in uniform off-base and to conceal our military identity at all times. Such a crying shame.